Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Summer Learning Journey (Day Three)

Activity 2. Acknowledging Ancestry

All of us are members of a family. Some of us have large families and some of us have very small families. When I have the opportunity to talk about my family and my ancestry I sometimes choose to use a pepeha. It is a very special way of identifying who I am and where I come from. There are many different versions of pepeha but most provide people with information about who you are and where you come from (i.e. your whakapapa). Use the template provided below to prepare your own unique pepeha. If you need help please watch this short movie clip on preparing a pepeha. 


Ko Mount Sewel te maunga

Ko Mawheranui te awa

Ko James Grant tōku tīpuna

Ko Grant Clan tōku iwi

Ko Dunwoodie Clan tōku hapu

Ko Dobson ahau

Ko Tony Grant rāua ko Rosslyn Grant ōku mātua

Ko Catrin Grant tōku ingoa










2 comments:

  1. Hi Catrin

    Wow!! You have done a great job with your Mihi!
    I love that you have presented the video of you saying y it too. You pronounce it very well.
    Have you used this before ? Maybe at school?
    If so, do you have to say your Mihi at school?

    It is a really good thing to be able to say your Mihi.
    Can you say it without looking at the words?

    Well done Catrin.

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Allie

    To answer your question's I have done a Mihi before at school because we were learning a bit of te reo with the whole school. My friends who could say there Mihi's really well helped me with my pronunciation. The Mihi I did at school I manged to remember it without the words in front of me but because it has been a long time i am yet to go back and try and remember it again.

    I hope I have answered all your questions

    Catrin 😺

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.