Sunday, December 31, 2017

Summer Learning Journey (W3) (Day One)

Activity 3. Snail Mail

In the 1950s, most people communicated with one another by writing letters. According to the NZ history website, New Zealanders sent over 200 million letters and postcards between 1950 and 1960. That is an average of 87 letters per person!

For this activity, imagine that you are living in New Zealand in the 1950s. Use Google Draw to design the front of a postcard that you could send to a friend. Try to include elements of Kiwiana in your design (e.g. Pohutukawa trees, Hokey Pokey ice cream, etc). Post a copy of your postcard picture to your blog. Be sure to describe what you have drawn on your blog beneath the picture.


In this post card I have included a Zealand beach with a pohutukawa tree. nesting in the pohutukawa tree is a fantail one of New Zealand's native birds. underneath the pohutukawa tree is a picnic bench where a pavlova sits and instead of the post card saying New Zealand I Replaced with the Maori name known as Aotearoa.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Catrin
    I really like your post card. I would use it because I think it shows what New Zealand looks like on a summer day. From Emma
    https://awahonoemmac.blogspot.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma

      Thanks for cheeking out my blog I am glad that you like my post card. Summer is one of my Favourite seasons. What is you favourite season? I will make sure a cheek out your blog.

      Thanks again

      Catrin 😃

      Delete
  2. Hi Catrin

    I really do like this postcard that you have created. It represents the Kiwi summer really well.
    I love the Pohutakwawa on the beach with the picnic table.
    This reminds me of Punakaiki, we have a bach there and really big pohutakawa trees too.
    I love that you have included Aotearoa on you postcard. It really gives it that New Zealand flavour. And of course the pavlova! Yum ! Always a favourite of everyone especially in the summer.

    We are certainly having a great summer this year and this just reminds me how good it actually is.

    I really like this work, you have done a really good job.

    Keep going your doing a awesome job.

    Great to see that you have a comment from Emma at Awahono School

    Until next time

    Allie :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Catrin!
    I really like this post on your blog. I like how it is really unique to New Zealand and you have put multiple icons that relate to us kiwis on your postcard.
    From Tess.
    From Tess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry! I wasn't supposed to put two from Tess'!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment.