Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Summer Learning Journey (W2) (Day One)

Activity 3.  In Flanders Fields

As the new century dawned, New Zealanders settled into a period of relative calm. The calm lasted for about 15 years but came to a sudden end in 1914 when World War I erupted in Europe. The war lasted for almost five years and claimed the lives of 18,000 New Zealanders.


It also claimed the lives of thousands of men and women from countries around the world. Every year, we remember these brave men and women on ANZAC Day (25 April). Many people go to a special Anzac Day ceremony where they read a special poem that was written for the fallen soldiers. The poem is called ‘In Flanders Fields’ by John McCrae.

Read the poem. On your blog, tell us what you think of the poem. Do you like it? How does it make you feel?

When I read Flanders Fields it gave me so many mixed emotions because these soldiers died to make New Zealand they way it is today to me the poem has such a deep story behind it we all no the stories about the soldiers but we don't now there personal stories. when I think of the situation of all those sons, brothers, husbands and fathers never returning home reading that poem had shone a light telling us that they loved and were loved and they couldn't be happier. John McCrae has done a fantastic job I couldn't have done better.


1 comment:

  1. Kia ora Catrin,

    My name is Emiely (pronounced "Emily") and I am part of the Summer Learning Journey team who will be blogging with you this summer.

    I really like that you have mentioned the name of the writer of this poem. I also think he did a beautiful job writing this poem.

    You are so right about the poem giving the reader mixed emotions... It gave me mixed emotions too. One of the emotions it made me feel was thankfulness. I feel thankful of the soldiers who risked their lives to shape the country we live in today. Without their bravery I don't think New Zealand would be as peaceful as it is today. What was one feeling or emotion you felt when you read the poem?

    I can't wait to read more blog posts from you!

    Noho ora mai,
    Emiely

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment.